Home schooling Slovakia - inspiration
Designed as a part of Google's UX Design certificate
Design a search page for parents to find homeschooling resources from the web domacaskola.sk – Inspiration easily, based on several criterias.
- Conducting interviews
- paper and digital wireframing
- low and high-fidelity prototyping
- conducting usability studies
- accounting for accessibility
- iterating on designs.
Understanding the user
- Parents want to be able to search teaching resources by keyword, year, subject.
- There is no major difference between the use of mobiles and desktop computers/notebooks.
- TRUE, but some parents wish to search also by type of document.
- FALSE. Some parents use only computers for browsing. Others use smartphone to find articles and computer to read them thoroughly later.
User pain points
No possibility to search based on several criteria – implemented.
Texts on mobile screens too small – implemented.
Long texts, too few images – implemented.
Do not know what to expect on yearly exams – not possible to implement due to the organization’s restrictions.
People looking strangely at us because of homeschooling – Help forum – planned.
Personas & user statements
User journey map
Starting the design
Digital wireframes - dedicated mobile app (adobe xd)
Usability study - Parameters & Findings
- un-moderated usability study
- 5 participants
- Slovkia (remote)
- 10 mins duration
Text & icons (p1)
Users prefer to have a single icon – Search & Filter, instead of two icons.
Refining the design
Implemantaion of usability studies
1. “Filter articles” and “Search articles” were unified into → “Search & filter
2. Icons for “Filter” and “Search” were added
HiFi Prototypes - Screen Variations (click images to test)
“I hope this will soon be implemented”
“Intuitive and easy to use”
What I have learned
- I prefer designing from top to bottom (vs. bottom to top)
- User testing always brings up issues I have not thought of
Add “User preferences” into “User profile”.